When people think of assistance, they often think of government aid in the form of welfare checks or food stamps. However, another type of assistance can be just as important: medical cash assistance. Medical cash assistance is a type of financial assistance that helps cover medical care costs.
This can include anything from doctor’s visits to prescription medication. Medical cash assistance can be a lifeline for people struggling to make ends meet. In addition to helping to pay for necessary medical care, medical cash assistance can also help to reduce stress and anxiety.
According to the Department of Social Welfare and Development, or DSWD, the Medical Assistance Program provides financial assistance to needy families who are confined in hospitals. A family is considered indigent if their income does not exceed the poverty threshold set by the National Statistical Coordination Board or NSCB.
This post will walk you through the process of applying for DSWD Medical Cash Assistance. So without further ado, let’s get started!
What is DSWD Medical Cash Assistance?
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) provides medical cash assistance to indigent patients who cannot pay for their hospitalization, surgery, and other medical expenses. This is part of the AICS program and this program is open to all Filipino citizens, regardless of age, gender, or religion.
They must also meet the following criteria:
- Have a diagnosed medical condition that requires hospitalization or surgery.
- Be a resident of the Philippines.
- Be unable to pay for their medical expenses.
Once approved for assistance, DSWD will provide a cash grant that can be used to cover hospital bills, surgical fees, and other related expenses. Patients can also use the grant to pay for therapy and other outpatient services.
What are the Benefits of DSWD Medical Cash Assistance
There are many benefits to having medical cash assistance. Perhaps the most obvious benefit is that it can help you pay for unexpected medical bills. But there are other, less obvious benefits as well.
- By providing cash assistance, indigent patients can afford the costs of their treatments and procedures, which will improve their health and quality of life.
- One of the main benefits of DSWD medical assistance is that it can be used to cover a wide range of medical expenses. For example, cash assistance can be used to cover the cost of medicines, which can be costly for families not covered by health insurance.
- Additionally, cash assistance can be used to cover the cost of medical treatment or procedures, such as implants or surgery.
- The program also covers laboratory procedures, CT scans, ECG, and 2D Echo, which are important for diagnosis and treatment but are often too expensive for indigent patients to afford on their own.
- Last, the DSWD Medical Cash Assistance program is a good way to ensure that all citizens have access to basic health care services regardless of their socio-economic status. This is in line with the Philippine Government’sGovernment’s commitment to providing universal health care for all Filipinos by 2022.
Qualifications the DSWD Medical Cash Aid
According to the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), the following individuals are eligible for Medical Cash Assistance:
- If you have cancer or another chronic illness, you may be eligible for medical cash assistance from the DSWD. This includes illnesses such as but not limited to tuberculosis, leprosy, heart disease, stroke, and kidney failure. To qualify, you must be a Filipino citizen who does not have the financial capacity to cover the costs of your medical treatment.
- If you are confined in a mental institution due to a mental illness, you may be eligible for medical cash assistance from the DSWD. This includes illnesses such as but not limited to schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depressive disorder.
- If you are a victim of a natural disaster, you may be eligible for medical cash assistance from the DSWD. This includes victims of typhoons, floods, earthquakes, and landslides.
- Disabled persons often have difficulty accessing basic services like healthcare and education. The DSWD provides medical assistance to disabled persons to get the help they need to live full and productive lives. This assistance can cover the cost of hospitalization, surgery, medication, and therapy.
What are the Requirements For Medical Cash Assistance
In order to be eligible for medical cash assistance, an individual must meet certain requirements.
- A medical certificate from a licensed physician,
- A discharge summary from the hospital,
- A death summary if the patient has passed away,
- Temporary or final hospital bills,
- A statement of account from the hospital,
- A certificate of balance from the hospital,
- A doctor’s prescription, and
- Treatment protocol from the attending physician.
These requirements are subject to change, so it is important to check with the DSWD for the most up-to-date information.
Specifically for medical procedures, you required:
- laboratory request
- laboratory protocol
- doctor order
The doctor should sign all the documents, including diagnosis and date (not more than three months old).
For therapy and other treatments, you need:
- treatment protocol
- PhilHealth certificate
- Psychiatrist certification, which mentions the doctor’s signature, and license number.
- Quotation including the full amount to be paid, and also signed by the issuing officer
How to Process Cash Aid for DSWD Medical Assistance
If you want to apply for medical cash assistance, you should visit the DSWD office near you. If you reside in NCR, visit the central office of DSWD. At the same time, those who are residing in provinces can visit field offices.
The DSWD office representative will guide you on how to apply for DSWD-MCA. The process takes three steps:
Step 1: Screening
The 1st step is to apply for the MCA and submit all the necessary documents.
The 2nd step is screening. DSWD will determine if the applicant is eligible for the program during this stage. They will review the applicant’s financial situation and health condition to do this. If the applicant is eligible, they will proceed to the next stage.
Step 1 Payout
The third and final stage is the payout. Once all the required documentation has been submitted, DSWD will release the medical assistance payment to the applicant. The payment can cover medical expenses such as hospital bills, medication, and laboratory fees.
Video: How To Apply For Medical Assistance In DSWD
This video is about Medical Assistance or MCA in the Department of Social Welfare and Development or DSWD. For qualified people, MCA provides financial assistance for hospitalization, surgery, and other medical treatments.
The amount of assistance depends on the family’s income and assets. To avail of MCA, applicants must first go through an eligibility check. They will then need to submit several documents, including proof of income and hospital admission or discharge papers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common FAQs about DSWD medical assistance:
1. How much is the medical assistance?
The amount of medical assistance varies depending on the family’s income and assets. There is no definite amount as it is handled on a case-to-case basis. It is best to visit the nearest DSWD office for your inquiry and specific situation.
2. What are the requirements for medical assistance?
To be eligible for medical assistance, an individual must meet certain requirements. These include a medical certificate from a licensed physician, a discharge summary from the hospital, and a death summary if the patient has passed away. For more information, you may visit the nearest DSWD office.
3. How will I know if I am eligible for medical assistance?
Families and individuals who are poor, in the informal sector, or are impoverished, vulnerable, or disadvantaged, according to the DSWD Listahanan, may qualify for DSWD financial assistance. Furthermore, workers under government contracts also qualify for this type of aid. The DSWD looks at various factors when considering who is qualified for their financial assistance program to help as many people as possible.
4. How Do I Claim DSWD Cash Assistance?
The first step to claiming DSWD cash assistance is to contact the DSWD office. This can be done by phone, text message, QR code, or online registration. The DSWD staff will then use this information to verify the applicant’s eligibility for the program. Once the necessary documentation has been collected, the applicant can claim cash assistance.
5. Can Private Hospitals Avail Malasakit Center?
Malasakit Centers are one-stop shops that provide financial assistance to patients in need. They aim to ease the financial burden of hospitalization by providing direct assistance for medical and surgical fees, as well as medicines and other ancillary services. While Malasakit Centers are currently only available in public hospitals, there have been calls for them to be made available in private hospitals.
6. Where Can I Ask For Medical Assistance?
The Department of Health’sHealth’s Medical Assistance Program (MAP) is a government-funded program that provides financial assistance to low-income households for medical treatment and services. The program covers various medical needs, including hospitalization, outpatient care, laboratory fees, and medications.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) provides medical cash assistance to those who are indigent, suffering from an illness and have no other means of support. The program helps to cover the cost of medical treatment, including hospitalization, medication, and surgery.
If you or a loved one needs financial assistance for medical treatment, follow the steps outlined in this post to apply for DSWD medical cash assistance. With the help of the DSWD, you can receive the treatment you need and get back on your feet again.